Connect with us

General News

National Service Personnel to undertake service abroad in new programme

Published

on

Share

The National Service Scheme (NSS) will roll out a programme that will afford fresh graduates the opportunity to travel abroad for up to three months to work with a company.

Executive Director of the National Service Secretariat, Mustapha Ussif.

The programme christened “National Service Global Practice Initiative” seeks to mould Ghanaian youth into globally-exposed youth leaders with universal experience, ideas and best practices to contribute to the development of their local communities.

The initiative, which form part of the Scheme’s strategic plan, will hopefully begin in the 2019/2020 national service postings, and offer opportunity to between 100 to 200 graduates.

Executive Director of the scheme, Mustapha Ussif, announced this in Accra at a National Youth Unemployment Dialogue on the theme: “Addressing Youth Unemployment in Ghana: Strategies for Sustainability and Inclusivity”.

Mr. Mustapha Ussif explained that the programme was necessary because the Scheme wanted to have a continuous supply of Ghanaian leaders who were adequately prepared to tackle local issues and deliver local solutions to build strong communities utilising global best practices.

It is estimated that about 50 per cent of graduates who leave Ghanaian Universities would not find jobs for two years after their national service and 20 per cent of these graduates would not find jobs after three years of completing their national service.

This, according to the Executive Director, was a concern for all to develop innovative ways to assuage the menace.

Mr Ussif said as a result of the phenomenon, government had initiated initiatives such as the Nation’s Builders Corps, Youth Employment Programme and Planting for Food and Jobs for the youth to exhibit their intellect and skills to vital sectors of the country’s economy.

Touching on digitization, Mr Ussif said the National Service application has been digitised to improve efficiency and provided with large data to analyze and make realistic decisions for the scheme.

On measures to develop graduate entrepreneurs, the Executive Director, said the Scheme in September 2017 started piloting the National Service Entrepreneurship Model with 500 graduates.

The model provided support for graduates with entrepreneurial ideas and sound business plans to implement their ideas throughout the national service period and beyond.

Mr Ussif announced that the Scheme has entered into a strategic partnership with Songhai Group to establish a training hub, where 10 service personnel will be trained and vetted by consultants on how to develop the next-generation digital tools.

Source: Graphic

235 Views

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General News

5.9m Ghananian Registered For Ghana Card so far-NIA

Published

on

Share

The National Identification Authority (NIA) has so far registered 5.9 million (5,907,536) people as at the end of 2019 in the ongoing nationwide mass registration exercise.

Of this number, the authority has printed 5.1 million (5,167,994) cards.

Data from the NIA reveals that 3.3 million (3,323,839) of the printed cards have been issued to registrants while persons who did not receive their cards can pick them up at designated places.

The exercise which currently ongoing in the Ashanti Region has so far registered one million (1,015,259) people in the region as at the end of 2019.

In the Ashanti Region, 761,263 cards have been printed while 552,796 cards have been issued to registrants.

Meanwhile, the NIA has extended the mass registration exercise throughout the Ashanti Region from January 10 to 16.

The extension is intended to restore the two registration days lost in December last year (27 and 28) because of the Christmas holidays.

A statement issued by Assistant Commissioner of Immigration (ACI) Mr Francis Palmdeti, the Head of Public Affairs of the NIA, said the extension also took into account the challenges it encountered in the first two days of the exercise in the region.

It said the move would also enable many prospective applicants in communities across the region who could not register because of the late arrival of some registration equipment to do so.

“NIA is concerned about the disturbing phenomenon of unusually large numbers of persons whose applications are ‘Awaiting Decision’ or have gone into ‘Adjudication’ and, therefore, have not had their cards printed and issued to them in the Ashanti Region.

“This situation frequently arises from discrepancies in the current versus previous biographic data of an applicant, particularly conflicts in date of birth, the spelling of names, change of names and addition of names without the requisite legal documentation backing them.

For instance, where an applicant presented July 1, 1987 in a previous NIA registration but indicates July 1, 1985, in the current registration as his/her date of birth, noting that conflicts such as change of date of birth are particularly manifest in data submitted to NIA currently, compared to data submitted to NIA previously.

The net effect of this situation is that tens of thousands of applicants are unable to get their cards and vouch for their relatives.

The statement indicated that the NIA’s technical system was sensitive and robust enough to detect slight variations in biographic data, as well as acute similarities in biometric data between two or more individuals.

“The system is designed to ‘arrest”’ all suspicious registrations in order to ensure that our National Identity Register is credible and dependable,” it said.

The NIA said adjudication and release of the cards of applicants with relatively “minor issues” are currently underway, and thousands of such cards have been printed and are ready for issuance.

Central, Western and Western North regions

The mass registration exercise is expected to commence in the Central, Western and Western North regions immediately after the Ashanti Region mass registration ends.

In addition, it is the expectation of the NIA that registration on the 16th and final region in the Eastern Region starts by late February to mid-March this year.

Meanwhile, it said the leapfrogging technique, which has been in use since the start of the mass registration exercise in the Greater Accra Region on April 29, last year, should help ensure that every nook and cranny of the Ashanti Region is covered.

That system has been applied in the Volta, Oti, Northern, Savannah, North East, Upper West, Upper East, Bono, Bono East and Ahafo regions.

80% target

It said that although not every eligible Ghanaian can be registered during the mass registration phase, the NIA seeks to register 80% of the population aged 15 and above.

Therefore, the remaining registrable population of Ghanaians under 15, would be registered after the mass registration exercise.

More so, NIA would establish permanent NIA offices in each region, municipality and district by the middle of March, to ensure continuous registration.

It said prospective applicants will, at their leisure, visit NIA offices and get registered at no cost.

NIA staff will also visit schools, hospitals, maternity wards, CHPS-compounds and other birthing centres to register all Ghanaian children.

This way, all Ghanaians aged zero to infinity will be registered.

Starting later this month, NIA will also operate offices jointly with a number of cognate institutions such as National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA), Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT), Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA), Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA), Births and Deaths Registry, and the Ghana Statistical Service.

It noted that the co-location arrangement should enable applicants doing business at any of those offices to also register for the Ghana Card with ease and at no cost.

The authority entreated Ghanaians to provide evidence of bribery and corruption allegedly being perpetrated by some NIA registration staff to the appropriate quarters for investigation and the necessary action.

Source:the Finder

110 Views

Continue Reading

Business

GHS194,000 Worth Of Fuel lost In Tanker Fire Near Buipe Depot – BOST

Published

on

Share

The Bulk Oil Storage and Transportation Company Limited (BOST) has estimated the value of product lost in a fire incident that occurred near its Buipe Depot at GHS194,760.00.

Initial reports suggested that three fuel tankers were consumed by fire at the truck park of BOST’s Buipe Depot in the Northern region on Friday evening, January 3, 2020, but a statement from the company said four Bulk Road Vehicles [fuel trucks] were instead affected.

The statement said three of the affected trucks belonged to the Ghana Oil Company Limited, GOIL, while one was for BF Energy.

The statement signed by Marlick Adjei, the Head of Corporate Communications and External Affairs at BOST noted that two out of the four BRVs “contained 36,000 liters of diesel (AGO) and 36,000 liters of petrol
(PMS) respectively.”

“At the current price of GHS5.41/liter, the value of the product lost is estimated at GHS194,760.00,” the statement noted.

“The fire occurred at the truck park of the depot and not within the depot. It started late in the evening and took a combined force of the depot technical staff and fire officers from the Damongo and Tamale Fire Stations to bring it under control around 10 p.m,” BOST added in the statement.

Cause of fire unknown

BOST in the statement noted that “the exact cause of the fire has not been ascertained as at now and investigations are underway. We shall furnish the public with the details once the technical team completes the investigations.”

The Buipe depot is the central fuel holding point of BOST serving the Savannah, Northern, North-East, Upper East and Upper West Regions of Ghana.

READ ALSO: Bawumia Preaches Peace, Unity In 2020

It receives products through river barges (via the Volta Lake) and through Bulk Road Vehicles (BRVs) loaded from the Accra Plains depot of BOST.

The statement assured that “though a sizable volume of products loaded for OMCs, were destroyed in the incident, product supply in the northern regions and the general operations of BOST as a company will not be negatively affected.”

Citinewsroom

75 Views

Continue Reading

General News

Bawumia Preaches Peace, Unity In 2020

Published

on

Share

Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia has delivered a New Year’s Message to Ghanaians.

Dr. Bawumia delivered the message when he served as the Special Guest of Honour during the Kaneshie District Presby Church’s Watch-night Service on December 31, 2019.

He shocked worshippers during the night to usher in the new year when he displayed an in-depth understanding of the Holy Bible.

Calling on Ghanaians to be peaceful and loving, the Vice President constantly made reference to the Bible about the importance of peace, unity and love.

He stated “as we start the year 2020, three things are so dear to our hearts as a people and we pray to the Almighty God to grant us these three things. We pray for peace, unity and love.”

According to him, “these three things are so important in the Bible. When you read Mathew 5:9 in the Bible, it says “blessed are the peacemakers for those are the sons of God.”

Dr. Bawumia added in his five minutes-plus address that “in Psalm 133, it talks about unity and it says, “behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to duel together in unity.”

source:dailyguideafrica

85 Views

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Recent Posts

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending

Powered by Live Score & Live Score App