The National Democratic Congress, during the Mahama administration, cumulatively increased electricity tariff by 166%, Vice-President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia has said.
On the back of the Public Utilities Regulatory Commission’s recent hike in power and water tariffs by 5.94 per cent and 2.22 per cent, respectively, Dr Bawumia said at the launch of the Youth Employment Agency (YEA) at the Bank of Ghana (BoG) Auditorium at the University of Ghana (UG) on Wednesday, 2 October 2019 that: “Between 2013 and 2016, just the last four years of the NDC government, the cumulative increase in electricity tariff was 166%”.
Dr Bawumia said that in line with the Akufo-Addo government’s agenda to create jobs, the administration has embarked on moves to cut electricity tariff to spur more employment.
According to him, “In 2018, we [NPP] reduced electricity prices of businesses by 30% and for households by 17.5 %, an average of around 22%.”
“Earlier this year in July, there was an increase of electricity price of 11% and yesterday of 5.6%. When you take the total cumulative increase on average, as I said, between 2017 and today, you have a cumulative decrease of about 5%”.
He continued: “So, the NDC, in their last four years, increased [electricity tariff] by 166%, we have come down since we have been in government by 5% on average”.
This, Dr Bawumia said, far outweighs the performance of the Mahama administration.
Comparatively, he said it is “still ‘boot for charley-wote’ when you come to electricity pricing”.
MASSIVE DEMONSTRATION HITS UDS NAVRONGO CAMPUS
At 10pm yesterday, the SRC President of UDS Navrongo campus, H.E Raymond Otivi declared a state of emergency, stating that there will be a demonstration the next morning.
As it stands now, there is a massive heat on UDS Navrongo campus. The Ultimum ECOWAS HALL gave the administration is due and currently, demonstration is ongoing.
As a matter of fact, every lecture hall has been blocked including all entries to the school campus.
Addressing the group demonstration this morning, the SRC President stated that, UDS WA campus did the same demonstration and thier power has been restored. Hence the need to follow the same procedures.
For the past 3hours now, no lecturer or administrators of the school appeared. This clearly shows that, voices has been heard and results will materialize soon.
So far, the SRC President is positive of an immediate response. Atinka TV is the only media house reporting so far.
What happens next?
8 projects by the NPP that received public backlash
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo took office as president on 7 January, 2017, after winning the December 2016 presidential elections.
The NPP claimed electoral victory on the back of many ‘sweet’ campaign promises aimed at boosting social infrastructure and providing a convenient economic environment for private businesses to thrive.
After almost three years in office, several controversies have arisen under the NPP administration over the policies and projects the NPP intends to carry out in the country.
Some of the projects were criticised but the government did not listen to the general public and went ahead to implement them.
Here are some of the projects that received public backlash from Ghanaians.
The announcement of the operation of a double-track system at the SHS level earlier this year generated divergent views on the issue.
The proponents of the programme have maintained that it will create room to absorb more students to enter SHSs, thus increasing enrolment, reducing class sizes, increasing contact hours and the duration of holidays, by making use of the existing infrastructure.
Additionally, it seeks to establish a commitment to raise the quality of education at the pre-tertiary level and lay emphasis on the acquisition of reading, writing, arithmetic, and creativity as foundational skills.
Unlike the single-track system, the new system is expected to divide the entire student body and staff into two different tracks.
This means that while one track is in school, the other is on vacation.
‘Misplaced’ National Cathedral
The defense of a planned demolition of public properties for a National Cathedral has been criticised by Ghanaians.
Nana Addo described as a “priority among priorities”, his government’s decision to build a National Cathedral.
The government wants the building constructed to mark Ghana’s 60th anniversary. It also explained that it is to be used for formal state occasions of a religious nature, such as presidential inaugurations, state funerals, and national thanksgiving services.
It is expected to seat 5,000 people in its main auditorium.
Some civil society organisations have kicked against the construction of a National Cathedral.
The CSOs said the government should suspend the construction of the cathedral or it will invite all Ghanaians to campaign against it to protect the national purse.
Comprehensive Sex Education
A cross-section of the general public has reacted to Comprehensive Sex Education (CSE) in the country with mixed feelings.
Beginning next year, pupils in all public schools, including 4-year-old will be given Comprehensive Sexuality Education.
Officials said the subject content would be age-appropriate and empower pupils with values that would protect them from sexual harassment.
But the programme has come under intense criticism receiving bashing from a section of the public including church leaders with many describing it as a deliberate attempt to introduce homosexuality to Ghana.
The opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has called on Ghanaians to fast and pray for the Minister of Education, Dr. Mathew Opoku Prempeh after a move by the government to introduce into the education system; Comprehensive Sex Education.
Some Ghanaians launched a campaign to ensure that a new Parliamentary Chamber is not constructed.
Plans by the government to build a new 450-seater Parliament chamber got Ghanaians angry.
Although the cost of the new chamber, described as “futuristic” by its architect has not yet been disclosed, many suggested that it’s rumoured $200m cost is an extravagance that Ghana cannot afford at this stage in its development.
The unveiling of the proposed design of the new chamber was done during a courtesy call paid by a delegation from the architectural firm – Adjaye & Associates, who are also constructing the national cathedral.
And currently, the proposed plan to build the Cathedral has been put on hold due to the massive protest by Ghanaians.
The majority of the populace rejected the use of drones for healthcare emergency purposes and described it as a misplaced priority.
The Minority in Parliament, think the $12.5 million project, does not render value for money.
The Minority alleged that the government was going to purchase drones at a cost of $1 million when it was selling at $100,000. It was also alleged government had sole-sourced a contract to the company when it could have opened up for competitive tendering.
The Minority said per the $12.5 million contracts signed, with Fly Zipline, the company would be making over 600% profit at the taxpayer’s expense.
GPS by Bawumia
Ghana’s Digital Property Addressing System known as the GPS which was launched by Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia received backlash from the public.
The location-based system designed by Vokacom, a Ghanaian Information Technology firm, cost $2.5 million.
Bawumia launched the GPS which the NDC described as ‘419’.
The App is nothing but additional coding and renaming of Google maps, some Ghanaians said.
The Ministry of Information on December 27, 2017, led by Minister Ursula Owusu Ekuful awarded Kelni-GVG company a controversial contract of US$89.4 million to monitor and track revenues by the TELCOS in Ghana.
The said contract generated a lot of controversies among many Ghanaians and the minority in parliament describing it as unnecessary and waste of taxpayers’ money.
In December 2017, the Ministry for Special Development and Initiatives headed by Mavis Hawa Koomson budgeted to use GH¢800,000 to build a new website.
This generated a lot of backlash from the minority in parliament and also sparked a lot of controversy on social media which saw many Ghanaians joining the fray.
Despite the uproar, the budget was approved due to the ruling party’s majority in parliament.
NPP’s Manaf Ibrahim secures injunction to stop parliamentary primaries at Asawase
Hon. Manaf Ibrahim, an aggrieved parliamentary aspirant in the governing New Patriotic Party’s primaries in the Asawase Constituency has secured an interim injunction from a Kumasi High Court to restrain the party from conducting the election in the constituency.
The aspirant went to court following a decision by the party to allow one of the aspirants in the constituency to contest unopposed in the person of Hon. Alhaji Alidu Seidu.
The NPP’s National Executive Committee, in a recent statement, listed names of aspirants to represent the party in the 2020 parliamentary polls.
The Asokore Mampong Municipal Chief Executive, Alhaji Alidu Seidu was listed as the solitary candidate for the party in the Asawase Constituency.
This was after the claimant, Manaf Ibrahim filed his nominations and was later said to be disqualified by the party’s NEC.
Hon. Manaf Ibrahim through his lawyer Nana Freduah Agyemang Esq. filed an injunction and it was granted by the Kumasi High Court. Read the details of the injunction in the picture below.
A little background into the Manaf, Asawase and the NPP story reveals earlier on the REC of the NPP in Ashanti Region had given a directive that 3 orphan constituencies (Ejura Sekyeredumasi, Asawase and Afram plains) will have only one person contesting unopposed.
Manaf Ibrahim and Gifty Ndoma from Asawase and Ejura Sekyeredumasi respectively defiled the resolution and picked forms. They submitted the forms and went for vetting. Prior to that, the REC of the Ashanti Region had suspended indefinitely for defiling the resolution. The vetting committee thus disqualified them based on the suspension.
Following that incident, both Manaf and Gifty appealed to the National Appeals Committee. NEC later came out with a release.
Except from the NPP’s National Executive Committee dated 13th September 2019 signed by the General Secretary, John Boadu indicated that “However, in respect of the aspiring parliamentary candidates from Asawase Constituency and Ejura/Sekyeredumase Constituency, Manaf Ibrahim and Gifty Ndoma respectively, NEC took the position that the aspirants, both of whom were suspended by the Ashanti Regional Executive Committee (REC) for misconduct, should publicly apologize to the Ashanti Regional Executives and to the party for their suspension to be considered.”
Close sources reveal that Manaf and Gifty had a case after their appeal was heard per the constitution of the party and thus they could contest. Somehow, the resolution per the constitution stood on the grounds of being “unconstitutional directive”.
Manaf Ibrahim after the release signed by the General Secretary, John Boadu about his suspension from the party and thus his eligibility can only be considered after a public apology for insulting the party’s hierarchy responded with an apology which was published by Starrfm on the 13th of September 2019.
The apology thus read in the words of Manaf Ibrahim “The happenings within that period I reckon were in my low moments. If in words, deeds, attitude, mannerism, taste or tone, I have caused anyone discomfort or created pain, that is not my truest self. Please, forgive me. Charge it on my head, not my heart. I hope this apology meets your kindest consideration.” This he wrote to the REC in Ashanti Region.
Gifty Ndoma also apologised as directed from NEC.
However per the directive from the NEC, there is supposed to be a reply from NEC upon receiving the apology both privately and publicly on whether they will be considered to contest but there hasn’t been any. Close sources indicate Gifty Ndoma has decided not to contest anymore.
Reading between the lines, it can be seen the silence from NEC is a tactical move to uphold the suspension decision from NEC by delaying time.
Basically that should be the reason behind the injunction since the elections is on 28th of September.
Is Manaf Ibrahim being treated unfairly?Why is NEC quite about the apology? The court granted the injunction, we wait as it unfolds.
- ABOUT US
- Campus News
- Campusradar TV
- Full-Width Page
- General News
- Herald Home
- Latest News
- Meet The Team
- Over 500 nurses employed following persistent protests
- Page Left Sidebar
- Page No Sidebar
- Page Right Sidebar
- TERMS & CONDITIONS
- VALLEY VIEW