‘Curvy’ High School Swimmer Disqualified for Swimsuit ‘Malfunction’ — Feminists Cry ‘Body Shaming’
A high school swimmer in Alaska was denied victory at a swim meet Friday because of a “uniform violation,” triggering accusations of sexism and racism.
Breckynn Willis, a 17-year-old state champion swimmer for Dimond High School in Anchorage, emerged from the water after a dominating performance in the 100-meter freestyle. But the male referee immediately disqualified Willis, ruling that her swimsuit was exposing too much of her butt.
An official at the meet, Annette Rohde, told the Anchorage Daily News that a female referee said the bottom of the teenager’s suit “was so far up I could see butt cheek touching butt cheek.’’
Rohde recalled that after the meet she warned the referee, who has not been identified, “This is going to blow up.”
The referee did not respond to requests for comment by local press.
However, as Rohde predicted, the disqualification became a hot topic in Anchorage and the Alaskan swim and dive community. Then, on Saturday, a woman who coached Willis when she was younger blogged about the incident in a Medium post, and it became national news.
“In a world where young girls are told at every turn that the skin they’re in is not good enough for a thousand reasons, the last thing we need to do in youth athletics is add to that unhealthy dialogue,” wrote Lauren Langford, who coaches swimming at Anchorage’s West High School. “If you do not like the way that swimsuits fit on these girls’ bodies then don’t look; they are minors, children, and no one should be looking at them anyway.”
“All of these girls are all wearing suits that are cut the same way,” Langford later told the Washington Post, referring to the school-issued one-pieces. “And the only girl who gets disqualified is a mixed-race girl with rounder, curvier features.”
“We have a term for it — it’s called a suit wedgie,” she added, of the way the Willis was wearing the suit. “And wedgies happen. It’s uncomfortable. No one’s going to walk around that way intentionally.”
Breckynn Willis and her sisters had faced criticism for overexposure before
Langford’s outrage was echoed by feminists and other social-justice-oriented commentators on Twitter, many of whom cried “body shaming.”
“We treat women like garbage,” said Washington Post foreign affairs reporter Emily Rauhala in response to her colleagues report.
We treat women like garbage https://t.co/ve2SuirZ1l
— Emily Rauhala (@emilyrauhala) September 10, 2019
Rep. Judy Chu, a California Democrat, declared: “Stop. Policing. Girls’. Bodies.”
Stop. Policing. Girls'. Bodies. https://t.co/4u78OuuQJp
— Judy Chu (@RepJudyChu) September 10, 2019
Transgender cyclist and activist Rachel McKinnon reacted withcharacteristic belligerence.
Fuck this bullshithttps://t.co/gA00dvwORA
— Dr. Rachel McKinnon (@rachelvmckinnon) September 10, 2019
As of Tuesday afternoon, the news did not seem to have infiltrated conservative Twitter, which tends to be less sympathetic to identity-based claims of injustice.
According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, the governing body for high school athletics in Alaska, all female swimmers must cover their buttocks and breasts and all male swimmers cover their buttocks.
Rohde and a local swim coach told the Daily News on Monday that they had never seen Willis deliberately adjust her swimsuit to make it more revealing. Whether or not that matters is disputed.
However, the Post reported Tuesday that Willis has been criticized for alleged overexposure before. Last year, a parent took a photo of her from behind and shared it with other parents as proof that girls on the team were wearing inappropriate swimwear.
Meagan Kowatch, Willis’ mother, told KTUU on Monday that the referee who made the call had previously embarrassed one of her two other daughters by critiquing the fit of her suit during a meet. She called for Willis’ victory to be reinstated and for the referee to be barred from officiating her daughters’ future races.
Also Monday, Anchorage School District officials announced that they are reviewing the referee’s decision, saying the disqualification “appears to stem from a difference of opinion in the interpretation of the rules governing high school swim uniforms.”
UDS NAVRONGO CAMPUS PUTTING ON A NEW FACE- INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENTS MANIFESTING
On Tuesday 14th of January, 2020, the SRC president took upon his WhatsApp status expressing his joy on the ongoing renovation and the “massive infrastructure development”.
His excellency the SRC president Raymond Oviti is nationwide known for his fight for the school fees reduction. This was mainly because, the intended purpose of some slashes in the school fees were not realized.
Through series of dialogue and displeasure of students through demonstration, the administration came into terms with the leadership of the SRC.
The SRC Public relations officer, Mr Ishmael told the student populace through a circular stating that, the administration asked for a little time to improve upon the infrastructures and other pressing issues of concern.
KING WORDI BUSINESS CENTRE has opened a new shop just beside kokotu. They have in stock various soft drinks and bottled water.
True to their words, the administration has started with and ongoing developments as they have promised. Among the ongoing renovation include the NH1 lecture halls and completion of the school library.
The SRC president is hopeful that, the developments as they have promised, will be completed before the end of the second trimester as the auditorium, FAS block and others are in line.
5.9m Ghananian Registered For Ghana Card so far-NIA
The National Identification Authority (NIA) has so far registered 5.9 million (5,907,536) people as at the end of 2019 in the ongoing nationwide mass registration exercise.
Of this number, the authority has printed 5.1 million (5,167,994) cards.
Data from the NIA reveals that 3.3 million (3,323,839) of the printed cards have been issued to registrants while persons who did not receive their cards can pick them up at designated places.
The exercise which currently ongoing in the Ashanti Region has so far registered one million (1,015,259) people in the region as at the end of 2019.
In the Ashanti Region, 761,263 cards have been printed while 552,796 cards have been issued to registrants.
Meanwhile, the NIA has extended the mass registration exercise throughout the Ashanti Region from January 10 to 16.
The extension is intended to restore the two registration days lost in December last year (27 and 28) because of the Christmas holidays.
A statement issued by Assistant Commissioner of Immigration (ACI) Mr Francis Palmdeti, the Head of Public Affairs of the NIA, said the extension also took into account the challenges it encountered in the first two days of the exercise in the region.
It said the move would also enable many prospective applicants in communities across the region who could not register because of the late arrival of some registration equipment to do so.
“NIA is concerned about the disturbing phenomenon of unusually large numbers of persons whose applications are ‘Awaiting Decision’ or have gone into ‘Adjudication’ and, therefore, have not had their cards printed and issued to them in the Ashanti Region.
“This situation frequently arises from discrepancies in the current versus previous biographic data of an applicant, particularly conflicts in date of birth, the spelling of names, change of names and addition of names without the requisite legal documentation backing them.
For instance, where an applicant presented July 1, 1987 in a previous NIA registration but indicates July 1, 1985, in the current registration as his/her date of birth, noting that conflicts such as change of date of birth are particularly manifest in data submitted to NIA currently, compared to data submitted to NIA previously.
The net effect of this situation is that tens of thousands of applicants are unable to get their cards and vouch for their relatives.
The statement indicated that the NIA’s technical system was sensitive and robust enough to detect slight variations in biographic data, as well as acute similarities in biometric data between two or more individuals.
“The system is designed to ‘arrest”’ all suspicious registrations in order to ensure that our National Identity Register is credible and dependable,” it said.
The NIA said adjudication and release of the cards of applicants with relatively “minor issues” are currently underway, and thousands of such cards have been printed and are ready for issuance.
Central, Western and Western North regions
The mass registration exercise is expected to commence in the Central, Western and Western North regions immediately after the Ashanti Region mass registration ends.
In addition, it is the expectation of the NIA that registration on the 16th and final region in the Eastern Region starts by late February to mid-March this year.
Meanwhile, it said the leapfrogging technique, which has been in use since the start of the mass registration exercise in the Greater Accra Region on April 29, last year, should help ensure that every nook and cranny of the Ashanti Region is covered.
That system has been applied in the Volta, Oti, Northern, Savannah, North East, Upper West, Upper East, Bono, Bono East and Ahafo regions.
It said that although not every eligible Ghanaian can be registered during the mass registration phase, the NIA seeks to register 80% of the population aged 15 and above.
Therefore, the remaining registrable population of Ghanaians under 15, would be registered after the mass registration exercise.
More so, NIA would establish permanent NIA offices in each region, municipality and district by the middle of March, to ensure continuous registration.
It said prospective applicants will, at their leisure, visit NIA offices and get registered at no cost.
NIA staff will also visit schools, hospitals, maternity wards, CHPS-compounds and other birthing centres to register all Ghanaian children.
This way, all Ghanaians aged zero to infinity will be registered.
Starting later this month, NIA will also operate offices jointly with a number of cognate institutions such as National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA), Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT), Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA), Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA), Births and Deaths Registry, and the Ghana Statistical Service.
It noted that the co-location arrangement should enable applicants doing business at any of those offices to also register for the Ghana Card with ease and at no cost.
The authority entreated Ghanaians to provide evidence of bribery and corruption allegedly being perpetrated by some NIA registration staff to the appropriate quarters for investigation and the necessary action.
GHS194,000 Worth Of Fuel lost In Tanker Fire Near Buipe Depot – BOST
The Bulk Oil Storage and Transportation Company Limited (BOST) has estimated the value of product lost in a fire incident that occurred near its Buipe Depot at GHS194,760.00.
Initial reports suggested that three fuel tankers were consumed by fire at the truck park of BOST’s Buipe Depot in the Northern region on Friday evening, January 3, 2020, but a statement from the company said four Bulk Road Vehicles [fuel trucks] were instead affected.
The statement said three of the affected trucks belonged to the Ghana Oil Company Limited, GOIL, while one was for BF Energy.
The statement signed by Marlick Adjei, the Head of Corporate Communications and External Affairs at BOST noted that two out of the four BRVs “contained 36,000 liters of diesel (AGO) and 36,000 liters of petrol
“At the current price of GHS5.41/liter, the value of the product lost is estimated at GHS194,760.00,” the statement noted.
“The fire occurred at the truck park of the depot and not within the depot. It started late in the evening and took a combined force of the depot technical staff and fire officers from the Damongo and Tamale Fire Stations to bring it under control around 10 p.m,” BOST added in the statement.
Cause of fire unknown
BOST in the statement noted that “the exact cause of the fire has not been ascertained as at now and investigations are underway. We shall furnish the public with the details once the technical team completes the investigations.”
The Buipe depot is the central fuel holding point of BOST serving the Savannah, Northern, North-East, Upper East and Upper West Regions of Ghana.
READ ALSO: Bawumia Preaches Peace, Unity In 2020
It receives products through river barges (via the Volta Lake) and through Bulk Road Vehicles (BRVs) loaded from the Accra Plains depot of BOST.
The statement assured that “though a sizable volume of products loaded for OMCs, were destroyed in the incident, product supply in the northern regions and the general operations of BOST as a company will not be negatively affected.”